Our Global, award winning client are seeking a Custom & Excise Manager to start in July 2021 within their Crewe office.
The role will be responsible for managing and controlling the clients’ customs and excise activities in the UK, in line with the company’s policies & procedures, and with an aim to ensure continuous compliance with UK customs regulations and UK excise legislation. The candidate will manage the relationship with external tax advisors for compliance and other consulting activities. They will be in charge of handling tax audits and requirements from governmental authorities.
- Coordinating with Europe Customs & Excise Director, the Regional Tax Director, and the tax departments in Headquarters.
- Ensure timely payment of customs debt occurring for the goods imported into the UK. Review excise tax returns, prepare claims related to import duties and taxes as well as claims related to excise tax.
- Manage the Customs and Excise authorisations.
- Handling customs audits and excise tax requirements with governmental authorities. Manage and instruct customs broker(s) to conduct clearances correctly.
- Proactively following up on UK Customs and Excise tax developments that may impact the UK business, assist in broader UK business development activities, aid and support to other departments in relation to UK Customs and Excise tax as needed.
- Timely and accurate quarterly and annual provision calculation, ensure recording of provisions, and coordination with accountants. Ensure accurate quarterly/annual reporting packages to headquarters. Preparation of tax provisions for budgeting periods.
- Seek opportunities to improve current customs and excise processes and procedures.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- A University degree or equivalent, CTA accreditation, and/or a master’s degree in customs would be a plus.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of work experience in a similar position in the industry (multi-national FMCG organisation) or in Big 4 tax advisory firms or equivalent, with in-depth knowledge of UK customs regulations and excise legislation. Customs HMRC working experience is a plus.
- Fluency in English with excellent written and oral skills.
- Skilled in financial applications (SAP and MS Excel) is preferable.
- Company bonus – 20% of annual basic salary (based on Company performance & not guaranteed)
- Company Car or car allowance (£7,611 per annum)
- Non-contributory pension – 16%
- 25 days holiday per annum (option to buy or sell up to 5 days)
- Non-contributory private medical insurance (employee and dependants)
- Life assurance – 4x salary